Petite Knit Sophie Shawl (& Scarf) PROJECT
Thank you Erica for knitting up this beautiful shawly/scarfy thingy, the Sophie Shawl by PetiteKnit. It's a great design because it's deeper in the middle, where you need more coverage, but narrower at the edges, where you don't, making it a really wonderful fall/winter/spring garment! It's a simple knit, mostly garter stitch with an attached i-cord edge that keeps it looking pretty and elegant (a simple technique, definitely not a dealbreaker if you've never done it).
I don't know why I chose the purple ... it was a momentary intuitive choice. Am I manifesting a colour trend? If you have any insight, please let me know!
We made the size medium, but used a bit more yarn than the pattern required and we had to dip into an extra ball of mohair, so if I was to do it over again I'd just level up to a size Large.
Our finished measurements (size M): 82" (213cm) long from tip to tip, 14.5" (37cm) deep at the middle):
- Sizes: S (M) L
- Length from tip to tip: approx. 170 (210) 240 cm 67 (82¾) 94½ inches
- Width at center: approx. 28 (34) 38 cm 11 (13½) 15 inches
- Drops KID-SILK: 3(3, 3) skeins (colour 11)
- Sandnes Garn DOUBLE SUNDAY: 4(5, 6) skeins (colour 5224)
- 5mm/US8 needles (straight or circular 24" or longer)
- Tapestry or Darning Needle
- PATTERN: Sophie Shawl by PetiteKnit
Other Yarn Options
If you want a bigger Sophie you could combine Sandnes Garn DOUBLE SUNDAY with a strand of Drops BRUSHED ALPACA AND SILK and you could use up to a 6mm/US10 needle. You could also combine any of the yarns in the Cascade 220 SUPERWASH line (including the hand paints) with Drops KID-SILK (use up to a 6mm/US10 needle).
- Cascade 220 SUPERWASH: 2(3, 3) skein
- Drops BRUSHED ALPACA AND SILK: 3(4, 5) skeins
- Drops KID-SILK: 3(3, 3) skeins
- Sandnes Garn DOUBLE SUNDAY: 4(5, 6) skeins
If all this holding two strands of yarn together is a bit too much, you can also use a single strand of:
- Drops AIR: 2(3, 4) balls (see finished projects)
- Malabrigo RIOS: 2(3, 3) skeins (see finished projects)
- Berroco WIZARD: 2(3, 3) skeins (use 5.5mm to 6mm/US10 needles)