The Colours of Nature
This is the English language print edition of G-ULD’s popular Danish book about natural dyeing, En Farverig Verden (2015).
The book is a simple, easy-to-follow guide to getting started with natural dyeing, introducing and giving an overview of colours, plants, fibres and tools along with basic recipes for lasting colours.
The primary focus of the book is dyeing on wool but it also briefly introduces other fibres and woven fabrics.
- A short history of natural dyeing with plants in Nordic culture.
- A beginner’s guide on how to get started with natural dyeing and collecting plants in nature.
- An overview of colours and fibres suitable for natural dyeing.
- Recipes for dyeing with fresh and dried plant material.
- An overview of plant materials to collect in Nordic nature and which to buy such as madder root, cochineal and indigo.
- A guide to preparing yarn and fabric for dyeing that lasts.
- A guide to tools used in the various processes of dyeing.
- 8 recipes covering mordanting, dyeing with fresh and dried plants as well as historic dyes such as indigo, madder root and cochineal.
Information about the book:
- 160 pages
- Language: English
- Format: 17 x 24 cm
- Weight: 615 g
- Printed in Denmark.
Share this item: