Berroco Elena Kids Summer Top PROJECT
If you didn't catch it, Berroco just published a new free pattern, a darling colourwork kids tee made with Berroco Vintage DK. Worked from the top down in one piece, it’s a perfect next step for less experienced knitters who want to expand their skills, or a simple yet effective knit for more advanced knitters. Since it's knit from the top-down, you can also lengthen the sleeves and make it into a full pullover.
The yarn, Berroco Vintage DK, is soft, machine washable, easy to work with, knits great in stranded colourwork, is long wearing, and is very affordable ... ie. great for projects for kids! See below for a couple other yarns that are equally perfect for this project.
Skill Level: Intermediate
For tutorials for stranded/fair isle knitting see our Skills Page under "Colourwork". For a full online course, check out the fair isle knitting classes on Craftsy, like Tanis Gray's Fair Isle Fundamentals.
- Directions are for children’s sizes 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10.
- Chest: (25, 27, 29, 31, 33)" / (63.5, 68.5, 73.5, 79, 84) cm
- Length: (12½, 15, 17, 18½, 20)" / (32, 38, 43, 47, 51) cm
- Shown in size 4.
- Recommended ease: approximately 2–4" / 5–10 cm positive ease.
- Berroco Vintage DK: (2, 2, 2, 2, 3) hanks 2136 Bird’s Eye (MC) and 1 hank 2194 Breezeway (CC) (see below for more yarn options)
- 3.5mm/US4 - 16" circular needles
- 4mm/US6 - 16" circular needles
- 3.5mm/US4 double-pointed needles (or 9" circular needles)
- 1 stitch marker
- Waste yarn to hold stitches
- FREE Pattern
Other Yarn Options
- Remix light is prefect for warm weather or people who can't tolerate any animal fibre. It it has a slightly tweedy texture which makes it great for stranded knitting and comes in a palette or really pretty colours.
- 1(2, 2, 2, 2) balls of Main Colour and 1 ball of Contrast Colour
- Vintage Baby has a slightly silkier texture, is machine washable, and comes in it's own palette of colours
- 3(4, 4, 5, 6) balls of Main Colour and 1 ball of Contrast Colour